In a recent public notice, the Music Copyright Society of Kenya (MCSK) announced that it would be distributing royalties from radio and television distribution class as per the distribution rules of the society effective from tomorrow Tuesday February 28th 2012 until June 2012.
The royalties to be distributed are from the radio and television stations which have paid and submitted properly documented log sheets from July 1st 2010 to June 30th 2011. The Society will also use
log sheets generated from its own media monitoring software.
Out of a total of Kshs 16,636,366.00 received from Broadcasters, 20% (Kshs 3,327,273.20) has been deducted to cater for administrative costs leaving 80%, a balance of Kshs 13,309,092.80 to be distributed.
However MCSK clarified that the royalties payable were on actual use of music as per the playlist (scientific distribution), as such only members whose music was played or appeared in the playlist would be contacted.
IPKenya notes the continued loud silence coming from the Kenya Copyright Board (KECOBO) over the current status of MCSK as a collecting society and whether in fact MCSK’s application for a license to operate as such in the 2011-2012 year was granted or rejected. For the moment, MCSK appears to be playing to KECOBO’s tune by incorporating digital technologies into its operations, using print media to publicise its activities and most importantly, strictly adhering to the 70:30 ratio for distribution as royalties and administrative costs respectively.