The Attorney General who is the Minister responsible for copyright and related rights in Kenya has appointed 12 individuals to serve as Board Directors of the Kenya Copyright Board (KECOBO). These appointments took effect on the 17th of August 2012 and will run for a period of 3 years.
The announcement of these appointments can be found in the Kenya Gazette Notice No. 11825 available here.
1. Isaac Rutenberg Michael (Dr.) (“@iruten” on twitter) – nominated by registered software associations.
2. John Katana – nominated by registered musicians’ associations.
3. Charles Peter Asiba – nominated by registered filming associations.
4. Laurence K. Njagi – nominated by publishers, authors and writers associations.
5. Nancy W. Karimi – nominated by publishers, authors and writers associations.
6. Tom Mshindi (“@tmshindi” on twitter) – nominated by registered associations of broadcasting stations.
7. Anil Kapila – nominated by producers and distributors .of audio-visual works.
In addition, the following persons have been appointed by virtue of their knowledge and expertise in matters relating to copyright and other related rights:
1. Henry K. Mutai (Dr.) (“@HKMLegal” on twitter)
2. Rhoda J. Birech (Dr.)
3. David Murithi (who shared his reaction to the appointment on twitter via “@davidmuriithi”)
4. Catherine Ngengi
6. Joy Mboya
IPKenya congratulates the new appointees and wishes them well as they steer the Kenya Copyright Board forward.