The Cabinet Secretary for Industrialization and Enterprise Development who is the Minister responsible for industrial property rights in Kenya has appointed seven (7) individuals to serve as Board Directors of the Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI). These appointments took effect on the 1st of July 2015 and will run for a period of 3 years.
The announcement of these appointments can be found in the Kenya Gazette (pictured above) Notice No. 4751. The new appointees are as follows:-
1. Moses Makayoto (Dr.) – nominated by Kenya Industrial Research Development Institute (KIRDI).
2. Juma Mwashuruti – nominated by Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM).
3. Ben Sihanya (Prof.) – nominated by Law Society of Kenya (LSK).
4. David Nguru – nominated by Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI).
5. Michael E. Okonji (Eng.) – nominated by the Institution of Engineers of Kenya (IEK).
6. John M. Muhoro – nominated by Jua Kali Association.
7. Phyllis Wakiaga – Chief Executive Officer at Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM).
So much for the two-thirds gender principle, this blogger sighs.
According to section 6 of the Industrial Property Act, the new appointees along with the remaining Board of Directors will submit to the Minister a list of suitable persons for the position of KIPI Chairman at the first Board Meeting. The Minister will then appoint a Chairman from the list.
IPKenya congratulates the new appointees and wishes them well as they steer KIPI forward.