- Kenya, Ghana make history as 1st African countries to ratify the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) [The East African]
- OAPI launches the official label for protected geographical indications in all member states [Official]
- ARIPO and the Arterial Network sign MoU for cooperation in copyright and related rights [Official]
- GDPR beckons: ICT Ministry establishes Taskforce on the Development of the Policy and Regulatory Framework for Privacy and Data Protection [Kenya Gazette]
- Lesotho becomes the 37th country to join the Marrakesh Treaty [WIPO]
- Uganda still hasn’t ratified Berne but was the 36th country to join the Marrakesh Treaty [WIPO]
- ARIPO Roving IP Seminar in Monrovia: ‘Only 6 Liberian Intellectual Properties Protected’ [Liberian Observer]
- ‘Taking Admiration Too Far’ in the context of cultural (mis)approriation [Afro-IP’s 2,000th post]
- Kenya: How tech, industrial parks could spur economic growth [The Star]
- South Africa: The need to reform patent system to increase local innovation [UCT IP Unit]
- Nigeria: Copyright Commission suspends operating license of Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) [The Nation]
- Kenya: Local company called ABSA takes on Barclays, ABSA Bank over use of trademark [Business Daily]
For more news stories and developments, please check out the #ipkenya hashtag on twitter and feel free to share any other intellectual property-related items that you may come across.
Have a great week!