Today IPKenya came across this story in the Bahamas Tribune about the Bahamas Copyright Royalty Tribunal titled “Copyright Holders Recieve ‘Not One Cent’ in 11 Years” and the opening paragraph summarises the article as follows:
“”NOT one single cent” has been paid by the fund set up 11 years ago by the Bahamas to compensate intellectual property rights holders, Tribune Business can reveal, due to the absence of a regulatory regime that stipulates payment rates.”
Immediately one is reminded of Kenya’s own challenges with fees collection and royalty payments, best exemplified by Music Copyright Society of Kenya (MCSK).
As you know, an ugly row took centre stage last year after KECOBO deregistered MCSK as a collective management organisation (CMO) acting on behalf of authors and composers of music primarily because MCSK’s operational costs were too high compared to the royalties it pays musicians. For instance, MCSK’s expenses stood at Sh137 million in the year to June 2010 against revenues of Sh185 million, leaving it with a surplus of Sh48 million or 25 per cent of its collections, which are supposed to go to musicians. Meanwhile KECOBO maintained that the guidelines for CMOs clearly stated that only 30% of monies received can be spent on administrative costs and the remaining 70% must be distributed among musicians as royalties. As the financial books showed, MCSK was doing quite the opposite: distributing 30% and spending 70%, notwithstanding the large number of complaints over unpaid royalties from musicians.